Omer Day 46
2 Sivan 5780
Monday 25 May 2020
Today’s nourishing and artistic practice comes to us from Adina Polen, founder of Atiq: Jewish Maker Institute. We love how Adina takes the essence of Netzach — here translated as commitment — to create this practice encouraging us to assess how the priorities in our lives map out to the patronage that’s actually happening from day to day. Just as the artist has patrons to whom they are obligated, and who may or may not also be the patrons supporting the artist towards doing the work they are most compelled to do, it does us well to take stock of the extent to which our daily actions and commitments represent the core values we hold inside.
Here’s more from Adina, who you can follow @atiqmakers; and thank you Adina!
Netzach SheBeMalchut — commitment within royalty — can be understood as the core commitments we orient towards, within an endless expanse of choice, of privilege, but an expanse whose parameters have been chosen for us. It is valuable to spend time considering how we choose to focus our energy and choose our patronages, our commitments, within our specific expanse of possibility, of privilege.
☀️Omer Day 46 practice [2 Sivan 5780 | Monday 25 May 2020]☀️
- On a plain piece of paper begin making a landscape or a map – with words and simple images – of your everyday activities, the ways you regularly spend your time.
- Begin to highlight (by making the images bolder, or adding color) those activities that you’d describe as commitments, what we’ll call your patronages (to put it in royal terms, in honor of the sefirah of Malchut) – the things you’ve committed to yourself or others to doing in your day to day.
- Create offshoots or branches off of each of those patronages, indicating the underlying values that connect you to those commitments
- Now, look over your map. Are there any overarching or underlying values that you can discern – core commitments that you can lift up that point to all the others?
- Consider: are these commitments reflective of the core values that you hope to be living into in your life? Are there any that are missing, or any that feel like they don’t actually deserve pride of place on your list?
- Plain paper
- Pencil or pen, colored pencils if desired
☀️This post is part of our Omer Wellness Series – a daily 7-minute opportunity for introspection and intentional focus on caring for ourselves, each other, and our environment in this incredibly challenging time.☀️
#omer #wellness #jewish #countingtheomer #jewishmovement #movementculture #movementecology #selfcare #dailypractice #hebrewcalendar #kabbalah #jewishwellness #dailyomerpractice #embodiedpractice #omerinplace #omer5780