Omer Day 31
16 Iyar 5780
Sunday 10 May 2020
Today we get into the heart of it with a focus on the spine for day 31, Tiferet (compassion) within Hod (splendor). Tiferet is associated with the torso and we know that good mobility in the spine is critical for full movement capacity. We’ll begin with some general spinal decompression then move into movements focusing in on the thoracic spine, the top half of our back that for many of us feels chronically constricted. Spending time increasing our thoracic mobility not only opens up greater capacity for quality movement it also opens up a vital throughway for the connection between brain and body. So bring some compassion to the splendid spine through today’s practice.
☀️Omer Day 31 practice [16 Iyar 5780 | Sunday 10 May 2020]☀️
- Forward Bend — From standing position, bring arms overhead and bend forward. Roll up slowly one vertebrae at a time to standing. Repeat for three total bends. (1-2 minutes)
- Seated Spinal Twist — Hold for 30 seconds. Repeat on other side, then again for two total twists each side. (2 minutes)
- T-Spine Arm Rainbows — 10 total reps, holding the extended position for 10 seconds on the final rep. Complete two sets on each side. (3 minutes)
- Open floor space
✨Practice Notes ✨
- Thoracic Spine = upper spine, from base of neck to bottom of rib cage.
- Forward Bend — From standing position, bring arms overhead and bend forward, long in the spine, legs straight (slight bend in knees if needed). Relax in bent position and allow spine to decompress. Roll up slowly one vertebrae at a time to standing.
- Seated Spinal Twist — Begin in seated position, one leg straight, the other crossed over the top with knee bent and pointing up. Bring the arm opposite to bent leg across and place elbow on the outside of bent knee. Use elbow against knee to level body into spinal twist, twisting torso towards the outside and back. Place other hand on ground to assist positioning. Turn head towards back shoulder. Hold for 30 seconds.
- T-Spine Arm Rainbows — Lay on your side in relaxed fetal position, legs partially bent, knees together. Bottom arm bent and relaxed. Extend top arm straight out from torso at 90 degree angle. Keeping at least fingers touching the ground and arm straight, trace a rainbow overhead with the top arm, opening thoracic (upper) spine as you do so. Trace rainbow to the point where top shoulder touches ground behind you, if possible (this will be approx. 10-20 degrees past straight overhead position). Bring arm back to starting position by folding (like closing a book) and repeat.
- See IG live videos for demos.
☀️ This post is part of our Omer Wellness Series – a daily 7-minute opportunity for introspection and intentional focus on caring for ourselves, each other, and our environment in this incredibly challenging time. ☀️
#omer #wellness #jewish #countingtheomer #jewishmovement #movementculture #movementecology #selfcare #dailypractice #hebrewcalendar #kabbalah #jewishwellness #dailyomerpractice #embodiedpractice #omerinplace #omer5780 #spine #spinaltap