Omer Day 14
29 Nisan 5780
Thursday 23 April 2020
Today we look at the association of groundedness for Malkhut within Gevurah — “humble sovereignty” within strength — through an essential and foundational human movement, the resting squat. The practice is simple: accumulate a total of seven minutes of squatting over the course of the day. Malkhut is the sefira closest to the material world and the most “earthbound” of the sefirot even as it contains majesty and splendor. Likewise, the simple, humble position of the resting squat also contains the foundation for powerful strength and groundedness.
This practice is written for just today, but is definitely one we highly recommend you continue to integrate into regular life and is based off the 30-day squat challenge developed by Ido Portal.
☀️Omer Day 14 practice [29 Nisan 5780 | Thursday 23 April 2020] ☀️
- Set a timer for 7 minutes
- Sit in a resting squat for varying lengths of time throughout the day
- Each time you squat, start the timer. Pause the timer upon standing. Start again with remaining time left on the clock next time you squat.
- Accumulate seven *total* minutes of squatting over the course of the day.
- Smartphone or timer
- Comfortable, non-restrictive clothing
✨Practice Notes ✨
- The seven minutes do *not* need to be consecutive; spread them out throughout the day as needed and able;
- Barefoot recommended for optimal groundfeel and balance;
- That said, if you have limited range of motion / depth in your squat, wearing heeled shoes or elevating your heels on something (eg a book, board, etc) may help significantly;
- Keep the knees tracking over the toes, either parallel or angled out as needed — try not to let the knees collapse inwards;
- This is more resting squat than an active squat position eg for load-bearing; the idea is to allow your body to relax into deeper, more open positions;
- If you fall more on the hypermobile end of the spectrum, then work to bring more activation to this position (ie do not completely collapse so low that your hips are on the ground — bring enough active position to create moderate tension in the squat)
- Do notice where you feel areas of tightness or discomfort — you may wish to lean into these spots a bit more or do some self-massage to help loosen tight joints or muscles;
☀️ This post is part of our Omer Wellness Series – a daily 7-minute opportunity for introspection and intentional focus on caring for ourselves, each other, and our environment in this incredibly challenging time. ☀️
#omer #wellness #jewish #countingtheomer #jewishmovement #movementculture #movementecology #selfcare #dailypractice #hebrewcalendar #kabbalah #jewishwellness #dailyomerpractice #embodiedpractice #omerinplace #omer5780 #squat #restingsquat