Omer Day Three
18 Nisan 5780
11-12 April 2020
Day 3 of the Omer count is about love & harmony, Tiferet within Chesed. We base our practice today on the Shema prayer — a prayer of unity and connection, sandwiched on both sides with love in the traditional liturgy (Ahavat Olam or Ahava Raba and v’Ahavta).
Shema translates to “listen” or “hear” so the practice begins with listening to a favorite love & harmony song, then we move into a classic nature connection tool called sound mapping. We hope this practice helps to create a feeling of calm, relaxation, harmony, and expansion in a time when too often we are feeling isolated, anxious, and disconnected.
☀️Omer Day 3 practice ☀️
- Find a comfortable position — ideally outside — prepare to close your eyes — set a timer for seven minutes;
- Listen to a love song – see suggestions below or use your own favorite (3-4 minutes);
- Shema Sound Map (with remaining time) — with eyes closed, listen all around you, create a mental map, allow a feeling of expansion in all directions as you listen (3-4 minutes);
- Space for sitting (outside *highly* recommended!)
- Music player with speaker
- Meditation timer
✨Practice Notes ✨
- Doing this outside is highly recommended but not strictly necessary;
- Breath from the belly while listening;
- Choose a song from below or a favorite song relating in some way to love & harmony, something relaxing and enjoyable, no longer than 3-4 minutes;
- Don’t have any other songs in the que, just the one, so that you can go directly into sound mapping;
- If you need to stop the music between, no big deal — press stop, then close your eyes again, take a breath, continue into sound mapping;
- Shema sound mapping suggestions: Create a mental map of the sounds you hear: what are they, which direction are they coming from, how far away are they?
- Begin by directing your listening focus straight in front of you, then behind, to each side, up, down, etc;
- Make space for your awareness to extend globally, 360 degrees, in all directions as you continue to listen;
- Song Suggestions:
…And we’d love to hear what other songs ya’ll use for this!
☀️This post is part of our Omer Wellness Series – a daily 7-minute opportunity for introspection and intentional focus on caring for ourselves, each other, and our environment in this incredibly challenging time. ☀️#omer #wellness #jewish #countingtheomer #jewishmovement #movementculture #movementecology #selfcare #dailypractice #hebrewcalendar #kabbalah #jewishwellness #dailyomerpractice #omerinplace #omer5780 #shema #soundmap